My first ever 3D model. Made in Blender just to see how hard it was... And it was hard as hell as every single step was new to me :)
Havent found a poly counter in Blender, so I have no idea how heavy the model is. The UV-map is 128*128 pixels. It's supposed to be a low-poly game model.
This time its a poly count of 148 :) ( Found the poly counter, but it is a face counter. So unless the model is triangulated, it will not show you what you want :) )
This time I really tried to make it low-poly.
Some blender mesh screens.
The texture with the UV-map superimposed.
This guy gave me a huge headache as the skinning seemed to be lost, and I couldent understand why... But the problem was that I was trying to use multiple "Armatures" for the skeleton. I made one for each arm and leg and so on, and parented them to the spine. It kind of worked, but only for the bones, as soon as I tried parenting the "Armatures" to the mesh, only the last parented Armature worked.
But as soon as I merged the Armatures, it was smooth sailing again.
Look how happy the geezer got when he worked:
Vladimir in the Sentinel Song project doodled this mecha in a meeting a few months back. I think its cool, even if it never makes the game, so I decided to try making it.
First render of an early stage of the mecha.
Here I've completed the modeling and made a brutal UV mapping by projecting the model onto the original drawn scetch I worked from. As it was done in ink an watercolor: I added some "Toon ink edges" to the render :)
I asked in the .Map forum if anyone needed a model. That way I could train modeling and make some use of it as well. jv_map wanted more planes for his "Sky is the limit"-mod. So here is the start of a B17G? model:
Around 1400 polygons at this point.
Oki dokie. The modelling is done. I still havent figured out the smoothing groups... I gan smooth faces, but I havent figured out how to assign smoothing to separate areas ( I cant get creases between 2 areas ).
Complete model. 1789 polygons.
Hmm... Placing the UV mapping on a 512*512 texture may not be enough. The B17 is rather big now that I think of it. I may have to increase to 1024*1024.
The 512*512 UV mapping. The model looks awfully Tron-ich with this as a texture :D
I realised I'm not a naturally gifted texturer. And as jv_map offered to do the texture, I thannkfully allowed him to. And a nice job he did! Here is the completed model in full blasting action in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault:
Yes, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault normally don't have working aircraft, but since jv_map made his "Sky is the limit" mod for it: it now does.